My Books

Maggie's books

Charlotte's Web
Green Eggs and Ham
The Cat in the Hat
Matilda
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Goodnight Moon
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Number the Stars
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Notebook
The Fault in Our Stars
The Last Song
The Lucky One
Thirteen Reasons Why
Safe Haven
The Joy of Cooking
Little Women
Anyone But You
Oh, the Places You'll Go!


Maggie Lust's favorite books »

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Living Conditions

I have recently seen my English teachers blog and have talked to her. She has given me great advice that will really help me write a well developed blog! So shout out to Mrs. Palmer for her advice!

In the book I am currently reading I have noticed that the living conditions are not so good. As I have been reading more and more I have noticed that they have gotten worse since Elizabeth just starting living there. They was a scarce amount of food, having to live in a tent and sleep on the dirt. I couldn't take it. There are many lines that Elizabeth writes to show that the living conditions weren't so good.

Some of them include:
  • "She'd leave me there, cabled to the trees in the middle of the mountains. I would die, alone, starving, and out of water." (p.110)

  • "After he crawled out of the tent, I lay alone. The sun was up, but it was still early and the thick trees provided heavy shade, keeping it cool inside. I lay on the dirty blankets, curled in a fetal position, the linen robe pressed against my waist." (p. 47)

  • "Over the nest nine months, Brian David Mitchell would rape me every day, sometimes multiple times a day. He would torture and brutalize me in ways that are impossible to describe, would starve and manipulate me like I was an animal." (p.46)

Based on just these three lines you can tell that her life right now is not okay. It's not safe and healthy for  a young girl to be living here. When she said that she had to live in a tent with dirty blankets that made me feel so gross. She didn't have anyone to wash them for her, like her mom probably would. She didn't have anyone to turn too. Based on just these short 3 lines you can tell that you wouldn't want to be in her situation.











2 comments:

  1. Great post! The questions are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! This is an awesome post. Actually, reading it was the first thing I thought of when I woke up at 4:30 a.m. since you told me about it. The organization, textual evidence, and opinion/reflection in this are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete